Benefits of Registering on Do-Not-Call List
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013
Register your personal phone numbers on the Do-Not-Call
Registry and see how it can help you.
The Do-Not-Call List defined
- The National Do-Not-Call Registry was established in 2003 to
help people stop getting unwanted sales calls.
- You can register your landline and your cell phone.
- The list includes only personal phone numbers, no business
number or faxes are included.
Registering for the Do-Not-Call List
- It is free and easy to register.
- Register online at donotcall.gov. You will an email within
72 hours. You must click on that link in the email for your
registration to be effective.
- You can also call 1-888-382-1222 to register by phone.
- You can register multiple phone numbers as long as they are
your numbers. Business phones and faxes (personal and
business) are not covered on the Do-Not-Call Registry.
Calls that are not covered
You can still get calls from the following:
- Political organizations
- Callers conducting surveys
- Companies that you have an existing business
relationship. This could mean one of the following:
1. If you purchase
something from a company, you have created a business
relationship. That company can call you for up to
18 months after your last purchase or delivery or payment to it,
unless you tell them not to call again.
2. Calls from companies that you submitted an
application up to three months after the application date.
3. Calls from companies that you have given permission
to call you
Telephone Consumer Protection Act and the Do-Not-Call
If you continue to get unwanted sales calls, find out who is
calling you. Under the
Telephone Consumer Protection Act, telemarketing calls by auto
dialers are prohibited. You can recover $500 for each
How You Can Earn $500 Per Call with a few
- First, provide proof that you are on
the Do-Not-Call Registry. You can check this easily
online. However, if you registered by phone, you can
also get the confirmation on the phone registered by using that
- Second, find out who is
calling. If you don't know who is calling, how do you know
who to go after.
- Third, provide proof that they
are using a robo-dialer. You can save a voicemail or record
the next call. Recording calls are easy with cell
phones. Look at functions on your phone and you will find
that it not hard. Or if you are old school, find a tape
recorder to use. Think $500 per call and I am sure you can
find a way to record that message.
- If a company
violates the TCPA, they are liable for $500 for each call
made. A court may find that the conduct is willful or wanton,
and may increase the amount per call to up to $1,500.
Experienced consumer rights
attorneys SmithMarco can help you
get the recovery you deserve. We have been protecting
consumer rights since 2005. If you are receiving calls to
your cell phone from an automated, or "Robo" dialer, CONTACT US for a free case review.